posted Aug 31, 2013, 9:57 AM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Aug 31, 2013, 9:57 AM by Ezrath Israel
Announcements – Week of August 26, 2013
- SHABBAT: Friday, 8/30, 7 PM, Shabbat Selichot with speaker Harry Ellison and Oneg Shabbat
- SHABBAT Morning, Saturday, 8/31, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat
- LOOKING AHEAD: Holy Days, Sukkot Package Delivery, Broadway Cares Flea Market, and more.
- EDUCATION: New Hebrew School Teacher for September; Adult classes resume in October
- THANK YOU, DONATIONS, & GIVING
- HEALTH & HEALING
- YAHRZEIT AND KADDISH
EVENTS: Randie Levine-Miller’s Sept. event; Stone & Stone’s shows;
Estelle Levy, Florence Cohen Celeste and Wiseblood in art shows; Steve
Louise Poster sings weekly; AT Shows: Black Angels Over Tuskegee, Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, It’s Just Sex, & Honestly Abe; June Stern. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood, Valerie Brown, seek clients.
- SHABBAT Selichot: Friday, August 30, 7 PM. Harry Ellison speaks on the Immediacy and Wonder of Selichot and the Poetry of Forgiveness, Begin the process of asking for forgiveness and looking within. We commemorate the Yahrzeits of: Belle
Butenkant (24), Gregory Jackson (25), Sara Buchman (26), Goldie Cohen
(28), Harry Waldman (28), Rabbi Joseph Gelberman (1 Tishri).
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, August 31ST, 10:30 AM, Service, Parashat Nitzavim/Vayeilech
- PLEASE write a review on YELP of our services and mention a Free Rosh Hashanah Service for the Community. Thank you very much!
- IMPORTANT: Anyone who opted out of our regular mailings, please email Rabbi Jill directly at email@example.com to receive the Holy Days mailing. Purchasing Holy Days tickets online has been enabled.
- Come Celebrate the Holy Days with us! Holy Days information is posted on our website and was sent out by mail. Rosh Hashanah begins Wednesday, 9/ 4, 7 PM. First and Second Days: Thursday 9/5 and Friday 9/6, 10 AM. The Creative Service is the second day of Rosh Hashanah. Free Service for the Community, Thursday 9/5 at 7:30 PM. Tashlich on Friday, 9/6 after the Creative Service; Kol Nidre is Friday, 9/13 at 6:30 PM. Yom Kippur is Saturday, 9/14, 10 AM. Yizkor at 1 PM; Mincha and N’ila at 5:15. Break the Fast at 7:45. Children’s Services provided for both holidays. Cantorial Intern Aron Bederson returns to assist Rabbi Jill, with James Besser at the piano. A spiritual beginning for your New Year! No one is ever turned away.
- Broadway Blessing, Monday, September 9th, 7 PM, Little Church Around the Corner, 1 East 29th Street, with: Melissa Errico, Christiane Noll, Rich Swingle, and Rabbi Jill.
- Sukkot Package Delivery, 9/15: Please contact Michael Verdel or Florence Cohen to participate, through Dorot.
Day Party Live, Times Square, Saturday, September 21: Noon-12:30 PM;
produced by Paul Sladkus. Early service, 10 AM so we can participate in
the worldwide moment of silence for peace & sing-a-long.
- Broadway Cares Fights Aids Flea Market, Sunday, September 22. Please contact Michael Verdel or Barbara Bova, or email Rabbi Jill to sign up for two hour slots, from 9 AM to 6 PM.
- Children’s Services for the Fall: 6:30-7 PM on 10/18 & 12/13; 10-10:30 AM on 11/16. All are invited!
- Actors’ Temple Hebrew School Open School Night for current and prospective parents and kids, Monday, September 16th, 6:30 PM. Come meet our new teacher! Find out about Children’s Shabbat Services too.
new Hebrew School teacher is Phyllis Marmer, whose son went to PPAS, in
the neighborhood and who has extensive experience teaching kids about
Judaism. Classes begin on September 16th.
- Hebrew School for K-5 Mondays at 4 PM; Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing. Hebrew School website, by Noah Hichenberg. If there is sufficient demand, we will have a second class for the younger grades.
- WEEKLY TORAH STUDY for Adults: Resumes in October. Join us Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th Street. Reading the Book of Exodus.
you and Mazel Tov on the Baby Naming of Francesca Lesh, daughter of
Sharyn Rothstein & Jeffrey Lesh; and to Alan and Marilyn Rothstein,
proud grandparents who sponsored the Oneg.
you to: Terri and Alan Bandler for a donation in loving memory of their
daughter Jenee; and to Bonnie Kellen and Ellen Renstrom for your kind
donations; and to Lilly Galperin for playing piano Friday.
- Special thanks to David Bier, Barbara Bova, Michael Verdel, and others for setting up and cleaning up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate your help. Thank you to Daniel Miller for the website.
- Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat or a Musical Service in honor of any Life Cycle event such as: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Births, Graduations, Aufruf, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding, or any Simcha or event.
- A leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Chair Plaques can be personalized and donated.
- Please also consider remembering The Actors’ Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Sh'lema to: Milton Platt, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi, Dalita
Rubenstein, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau, Lois Libien,
David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph Kashangaki, Alan Bergman, Zell
Schwartzman, Mark Kigler, Liz Strickoff, Sally Gerity, Carole Elfman,
Steven Gellman, Fred Winters, Marjorie Conn, and Ruth Krausman. We pray they will be well again soon.
remember: (Heb. Date of Passing–Elul & Tishri): Belle Butenkant
(24), Gregory Jackson (25), Sara Buchman (26), Goldie Cohen (28), Harry
Waldman (28), Rabbi Joseph Gelberman (1 Tishri) 8/30; Rose Orenstein
(14), Thelma Feld, (15) William Seif (15), 9/13; Lillian Berger (16),
Annie Spegal (17), Dr. Merrill Goodman (19), 9/20; Leo Simon (23), Larry
Levine (25), Ruth Tobin (29), Harry Waldman (29), 9/27.
recall for Kaddish: Howard Strowman, Shirah Kober Zeller. Dorothy
Platt, George Greenstein, Louis Strowman, Michael Rubenstein, Menashe
Benyaminov, Louis Salko, Roselyn Kessler, Bernard Thaler, Joshua Caruso,
Lila Ruth Diamond, Mark Landers, Lorraine May Rubenstein, John
Nicholson, Alfonso Ragland, Helen Turner, Ted Tedeschi, Marilyn
Rosenthal, Jan Berger, Fred Winters.
- Randie Levine-Miller’s Broadway Showstopper Divo’s – A Swell Party, Monday, 9/16, 7 PM, Metropolitan Room, http://metropolitanroom.com/show.cfm?id=92947.
- Stone & Stone Shows:, 8/26, 8 PM, The PIT, NYC, 8/27, 10:30 PM, 54 Below,; 8/28, 9 PM, Lucky Jacks, NYC.
- Dave Konig will be on the Ralph Romeo Show, 8/26, 8 PM, WPAT (930 AM dial) and hosts the (private) Friars Club Benefit, 9/18.
- Estelle Levy & Florence Cohen in: Women in the Arts Exhibition, Riverside Library, 127 Amsterdam Ave. at 65th Street, 8/2-27, Mon/Wed: 11-6; Tues/Thurs: 10-6, Fri/Sat: 10-5; Also Home & Habitat Exhibit, 8/1-8/27.
- Celeste Wiseblood has 3 pieces in an art show, Creative Center, 2nd Fl, 6/21- 9/1, 273 Bowery.
- Louise Poster sings at Lybane Restaurant Tues. & Fridays, 9-12, 709 8th Ave.(44-45)212-582-2012; Mondays with the Rick Bogart Trio, The Hudson Eatery, 601 W. 57th St.(11th-12th Aves.) 6:30-9:30 PM, One drink min.
- AT Theatre’s shows: It’s Just Sex (about marriage), Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, a parody of an infamous book, also Black Angels Over Tuskegee, & (for kids) Honestly Abe. Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200.
- Valerie Brown is available for cleaning projects (closets, stoves, refrigerators). Call Rabbi Jill for Valerie’s contact information. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking tutoring students, Pre-K to 5th.Celeste Wiseblood seeking hypno/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.