posted Aug 12, 2013, 3:48 PM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Aug 15, 2013, 9:41 AM by Ezrath Israel
SHABBAT: Friday, 8/9, 7 PM, Shabbat Service, Discussion, & Oneg ShabbatSHABBAT Morning, Saturday, 8/10, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat LOOKING AHEAD: Synagogue Bike Ride, Honoring Volunteers, Holy Days, and more.EDUCATION: No Class During the Summer. Classes Resume in October THANK YOU, DONATIONS, & GIVINGHEALTH & HEALINGYAHRZEIT AND KADDISHNOTEWORTHY
EVENTS: Randie Levine-Miller’s Sept. event; Mazel Tov to Bob
Greenberg; Affordable Co-op taking lottery applications; Estelle Levy
& Florence Cohen in an art show; Celeste Wiseblood in an art show;
Steve Greenstein in a Film, Louise Poster sings weekly; AT Shows: Black
Angels Over Tuskegee, Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, It’s Just Sex, & Honestly Abe;
Two Programs to know about: LifeLine & ReServe; June Stern. Dr.
Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood, Valerie Brown, seek clients.
THE ACTORS’ TEMPLE
Announcements – Week of August 5, 2013
- SHABBAT, Friday, August 9th, 7 PM: Service, Discussion, and Oneg Shabbat. We commemorate the Yahrzeit of: Miriam Levine.
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, August 10th, 10:30 AM, Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat, Parashat Shofetim.
- Actors’ Temple Bike Ride, Sunday in August 11th (Rain date August 18th). Please email Rabbi Jill if interested. We’ll gather at Rabbi Jill’s at 11, ride around Central Park, return for bagels and cream cheese, and have a short study session. Informal and fun!
wishing to receive an aliyah or read a section of Haftarah in English
for the Holy Days, or participate in the Creative Service on the second
day of Rosh Hashanah, please contact Rabbi Jill.
to Honor All our Volunteers: Friday, August 23rd. All who regularly
volunteer will be honored. Please do attend. Oneg sponsored by the
Synagogue in their honor.
- Shabbat Selichot: Harry Ellison speaks on the Immediacy and Wonder of Selichot and the Poetry of Forgiveness, Friday, August 30th, 7 PM.
- Come Celebrate the Holy Days with us! Holy Days information will be posted on our website and sent out by mail soon. Rosh Hashanah begins Wednesday, 9/ 4, 7 PM. First and Second Days: Thursday 9/5 and Friday 9/6, 10 AM. The Creative Service is the second day of Rosh Hashanah. Free Service for the Community, Thursday 9/5 at 7:30 PM. Tashlich on Friday, 9/6 after the Creative Service; Kol Nidre is Friday, 9/13 at 6:30 PM. Yom Kippur is Saturday, 9/14, 10 AM. Yizkor at 1 PM; Mincha and N’ila at 5:15. Break the Fast at 7:45. Children’s Services provided for both holidays. Cantorial Intern Aron Bederson returns to assist Rabbi Jill. A spiritual beginning for your New Year! No one is ever turned away.
Blessing, Monday, September 9th, 7 PM, Little Church Around the Corner,
1 East 29th Street, with: Melissa Errico, Christiane Noll, Rich
Swingle, and Rabbi Jill.
- Peace Day Party Live,
Times Square, Saturday, September 21: Noon-12:30 PM; produced by Paul
Sladkus. Early service, 10 AM so we can participate in the worldwide
moment of silence for peace & sing-a-long.
- WEEKLY TORAH STUDY: Resumes in October. No class during the summer. Join us Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th Street. Reading the Book of Exodus.
- Hebrew School for K-5; Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing. Hebrew School website, by Noah Hichenberg.
you to Florence Cohen for sponsoring the Oneg Shabbat on Friday in
memory of her Mother Mollie Cohen and her Husband, Alan Goldman.
- Special thanks to David Bier, Barbara Bova, Michael Verdel, and others for setting up and cleaning up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate your help. Thank you to Daniel Miller for the website.
- Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat or a Musical Service in honor of any Life Cycle event such as: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Births, Graduations, Aufruf, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding, or any Simcha or event.
- A leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Chair Plaques can be personalized and donated.
- Please also consider remembering The Actors’ Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Sh'lema to: Milton Platt, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi, Dalita
Rubenstein, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau, Lois Libien,
David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph Kashangaki, Alan Bergman, Zell
Schwartzman, Mark Kigler, Liz Strickoff, Sally Gerity, Carole Elfman,
Steven Gellman, Fred Winters, and Ruth Krausman. We pray they will be well again soon.
extend our deep sympathy to Barry Rosenthal, whose Mother, Marilyn
Rosenthal, passed away this week. We remember: (Heb. Date of Passing–Av
and Elul): Miriam Levine (8/13 Eng. Date) 8/9; Bernard Butenkant (11),
8/16; Jeanette Claire Youner (17) Samuel Tobin (20), Rebecca Klinger’s
Mother (21), 8/23; Belle Butenkant (24), Gregory Jackson (25), Sara
Buchman (26), Goldie Cohen (28), Harry Waldman (28), 8/30.
- We recall for Kaddish: Miriam
Levine, Samuel Tobin, Howard Strowman, Shirah Kober Zeller. Dorothy
Platt, George Greenstein, Louis Strowman, Michael Rubenstein, Menashe
Benyaminov, Louis Salko, Roselyn Kessler, Bernard Thaler, Joshua
Winfield Caruso, Lila Ruth Diamond, Mark Landers, Lorraine May
Rubenstein, John Nicholson, Alfonso Ragland, Helen Turner, Ted Tedeschi,
- Randie Levine-Miller’s Broadway Showstopper Divo’s – A Swell Party, Monday, 9/16, 7 PM, Metropolitan Room, http://metropolitanroom.com/show.cfm?id=92947.
- Mazel Tov to Bob Greenberg, who won First Prize in the 4th Annual Coney Island Talent Show, doing his tribute to Brooklyn's favorite bus driver!
- New Affordable Co-ops on West 52nd St., The Park Clinton, taking lottery applications til 9/10. Please contact Rabbi Jill for details.
- Estelle Levy & Florence Cohen show work: Women in the Arts Exhibition,
Riverside Library, 127 Amsterdam Ave. at 65th Street, 8/2-27, Mon/Wed:
11-6; Tues/Thurs: 10-6, Fri/Sat: 10-5; Reception Sat. 8/3,
2-4:30. Also Home & Habitat Exhibit, begins 8/1-8/27. Many other artists including Marcia Ostwind and Caroline Sun.
- Celeste Wiseblood
has 3 pieces in an art show, Creative Center, 2nd Fl, 6/21- 9/1,
reception 6 - 8 PM, 6/21, 273 Bowery (btw Stanton & E.Houston).
- Louise Poster
sings at Lybane Restaurant Tues. & Fridays, 9-12, 709 8th
Ave.(44-45)212-582-2012; Mondays with the Rick Bogart Trio, The Hudson
Eatery, 601 W. 57th St.(11th-12th Aves.) 6:30-9:30 PM, One drink min.
- AT Theatre’s shows: It’s Just Sex (about marriage), Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, a parody of an infamous book, also Black Angels Over Tuskegee, & (for kids) Honestly Abe. Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200.
- Valerie Brown is available for cleaning projects (closets, stoves, refrigerators). Call Rabbi Jill for Valerie’s contact information. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking tutoring students, Pre-K to 5th.Celeste Wiseblood seeking hypno/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.