posted Jan 28, 2014, 9:13 AM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Jan 28, 2014, 9:13 AM by Ezrath Israel
THE ACTORS’ TEMPLE
Announcements – Week of January 27, 2014
SHABBAT PM, Friday, 1/31, 7 PM: Service and Oneg Shabbat
SHABBAT AM, Saturday, 2/1, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat, Parashat Terumah
PLEASE RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIPS this month and support your synagogue
LOOKING AHEAD: Winter Package Delivery, Johnny Mercer Benefit Revue, & More.
EDUCATION: Hebrew School for Children Mondays; Torah Study this Wednesday
THANK YOU, DONATIONS, & GIVING
HEALTH & HEALING
YAHRZEIT AND KADDISH
NOTEWORTHY EVENTS: Stone & Stone, Women’s Talent Show, Drama Desk Panel,
Estelle Levy, Louise Poster’s shows, & More; AT Shows: Black Angels Over Tuskegee, Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, It’s Just Sex, & Honestly Abe; June Stern. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood, Valerie Brown, seek clients.
- SHABBAT, Friday, January 31st,
7 PM: Service & Oneg Shabbat. We commemorate the Yahrzeits of:
Frances Friedman (29 Shevat), Barry Linden (29), Irving Lerner (29),
Jenee Bandler (30), Jerry Ames, Michael DiRoma (3 Adar), Irving Howard
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, February 1st, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg, Parashat Terumah.
- Winter Package Delivery to needy seniors with Dorot, 171
W. 85th St. (at Amsterdam Ave.) Sun, 2/2, 10 AM-1 PM. Nourish your
soul, spread good cheer; spend time with a senior. Contact Michael Verdel, 917 312-2702, email@example.com or Florence Cohen, 212 645-4610, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PLEASE RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIPS: We need every membership and donation to help and serve you!
New Synagogue will be joining The Actors’ Temple for the first Friday
service of each month, with Rabbis Roger Ross & Scott Matous,
Cantors Judy Steel and Jeanie Kwartler. Next Service 2/7.
- Shabbat Service for the Performing Community, 2nd Fridays at 6 PM. Next Service 2/14.
- Next Children’s Service: 2/28 at 6:30 PM.
- JOHNNY MERCER REVUE: You've Got To ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE,
an Actors Temple Benefit, Monday March 3, 7 PM, created & directed
by Karin Baker Kayne, featuring Juliet Ewing, Bambi Jones, Patti
Mariano, and Joyce Nolen, with David Hancock Turner at the piano.
Cabaret style performance with cake and coffee. Tickets on sale now:
$35 advance or $40 at the door, $50 Mensch, $100 Angel, $200 Seraphim.
Please send a check made out to The Actors’ Temple, or fax credit card
info to: 212-586-3025, or reserve online. Reservations held at the door.
Come have a great time and support the synagogue!
- Shabbat Across America, Friday, March 7: Potluck Shabbat Dinner at 6 PM and Learner’s Service at 7 PM
- PURIM Celebration & Megillah Reading, Saturday night, March 15th.
TORAH STUDY for Adults: Class meets this Wednesday, 1/29. Join us
Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th
Street. Reading Leviticus.
- Hebrew School for K-5 Mondays at 4 PM; Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing.
Thank You and Donations
- The Actors’ Temple donated 10 trees to the JNF for Tu B’Shevat, thanks to all your generous donations!
- Thank you to Janet Altman for your kind donation.
- Su Nissan sponsors the Oneg in honor of her Father, Alexander Swee’s Yahrzeit.
- Special thanks to Barbara Bova, David Bier, and others for setting up and cleaning up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate your help. Thank you to Daniel Miller for maintaining the website.
- Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat or a Musical Service in honor of any Life Cycle event such as: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Births, Graduations, Aufruf, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding, or any Simcha or event.
- A leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Chair Plaques can be personalized and donated.
- Please also consider remembering The Actors’ Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Health and Healing
Sh'lema to: Valerie Brown, Milton Platt, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi,
Dalita Rubenstein, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau, Lois
Libien, David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph Kashangaki, Alan Bergman, Zell
Schwartzman, Mark Kigler, Liz Strickoff, Sally Gerity, Carole Elfman,
Steven Gellman, Elinor & Wendy Rosenthal, and Alan Bandler. We pray
they will be well again soon.
Yahrzeits and Kaddish
- We remember (Heb. Date of Passing–Shevat, Adar): Frances
Friedman (29), Barry Linden (29), Irving Lerner (29), Jenee Bandler
(30), Jerry Ames, Michael DiRoma (3 Adar), Irving Howard (5), 1/31;
Gertrude Speciner (2/11), Harry Crysostomas (2/11), Harry Feld, Edward
Fingerman, Rebecca Klinger Father (7), Ida Libien (8), Arthur Stricker
(12), Esther Fingerman (12), 2/7 Jack Spegal, Rose Greenberg (20), 2/14;
Natalia Galperin, Stanley Goldstein (25), Rachel Bloomenfield, Seymour
Wolf (27), 2/21; Sylvia Freeman (28), 2/28; Fannie Klein (3/11), Lee
Schoeman, John Gerity (3/13), 3/7; Beatrice Friedman (3/18) 3/14; Melvin
Troy (3/21), Susan Jaslow (II Adar 21), Harold Walerstein (II Adar 22)
- We recall for Kaddish: Michael
Rubenstein, Beatrice Friedman, Louis Salko, Roselyn Kessler, Bernard
Thaler, Joshua Caruso, Lila Ruth Diamond, Mark Landers, Lorraine May
Rubenstein, John Nicholson, Alfonso Ragland, Helen Turner, Ted Tedeschi,
Marilyn Rosenthal, Jan Berger, Fred Winters, Regina Reznik, Herschl
Koblenz, Linda Bockhold, Miriam Silver, Arnold Rosner, Doris Sapper,
- Stone & Stone + Funny Guests perform: 1/27, 8 PM, The PIT (123 E. 24th St., (Park - Lex), $10, no minimum.
- Randie Levine-Miller & Cheryl Benton’s Tomatoes Got Talent: 1/29, Triad/72nd St. postponed from last week. A great showcase for women over 40.
- Help Dave Konig get played on the Radio: 1) Listen to FREE tracks from his new CD, at: FREE DAVE KONIG SAMPLES, 2) go on the iTunes page and leave a favorable comment at: DAVE KONIG ON iTUNES after 1/27.
- Randie Levine-Miller is producing & moderating a Drama Desk Panel of experts, a behind-the-scenes discussion of how some shows make it while others fail, 2/10, 6 PM Stage 72/Triad, $20.
- Steve Greenstein is Harry, the lovable owner of the Pittsburgh strip club in the national tour of Flashdance the Musical, www.flashdancethemusical.com.
- Russell Fischer performs on Broadway in Jersey Boys, August Wilson Theatre, 245 West 52nd Street
- Estelle Levy’s art at: Williamsburg Art & Historic Center, 135 Broadway, Brooklyn, 1/25-2/23, Gallery Hours Mon-Fri 12-6, 718 486 7372.
- Seth Bisen-Hersh’s Showcases,
weekly, Don’t Tell Mama, Feb. – May: musical theatre performers seeking
exposure sing 2 songs with patter between. Videos available the same
night, email@example.com for appointment.
- Phyllis & Mark Marmer
of Katz Jewelers will donate 10% of sales/repairs to the temple, for
members. 212 697-0655, specializing in watch & jewelry repair and
- Louise Poster sings Tues-Fri at L’ybane Restaurant & at Broadway Thai. Sat-Mon.’s. No Covers, 1 Drink min.
- AT Theatre’s shows: It’s Just Sex (about marriage), Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, a parody of an infamous book, also Black Angels Over Tuskegee, & (for kids) Honestly Abe. Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200.
- Valerie Brown, 212 496 6484, available for big cleaning projects. Call Rabbi Jill for Valerie’s contact information. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking tutoring students, Pre-K to 5th.Celeste Wiseblood seeking hypno/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.