posted Jul 15, 2013, 3:31 PM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Jul 15, 2013, 3:31 PM by Ezrath Israel
Announcements – Week of July 15, 2013
- EREV TISHA B’AV: Monday, 7/15, 7 PM: Service and Film: Geto, about the original Venice Ghetto
- SHABBAT Evening: Friday, 7/19, 7 PM: Shabbat Service, Discussion, & Oneg Sponsored by Barbara Bova
- SHABBAT Morning: Saturday, 7/20, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat
- LOOKING AHEAD: Plaque Dedications, Synagogue Bike Ride, Honoring Volunteers, and more.
- EDUCATION: No Class During the Summer. Classes Resume in October.
- THANK YOU, DONATIONS, & GIVING
- HEALTH & HEALING
- YAHRZEIT AND KADDISH
EVENTS: Estelle Levy & Florence Cohen in an art show; Celeste
Wiseblood in an art show; Steve Greenstein in a new Film, Aron Bederson
directs Line; Louise Poster sings weekly; AT Shows: Fried Chicken & Latkes, Black Angels Over Tuskegee, Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey,
opens 3/27; & Honestly Abe; Two Programs to know about: LifeLine
& ReServe; June Stern. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood,
Valerie Brown, seek clients.
About The Actors’ Temple
- The Actors’ Temple, Congregation Ezrath Israel is: a place where
spirituality meets creativity; progressive and egalitarian; eclectic and
post denominational; welcoming and inclusive; a place for community,
friendship, prayer, learning, and deeds of loving kindness.
- Visit our
Facebook Page and give us a “Like” a/k/a the Thumbs Up! Rabbi/Cantor Jill Hausman has started
her own Blog where she is posting her sermons. The Adon Olam Video, produced by Judy Buchman, is
here on YouTube.
- Visit our
where you can buy Tickets to many of our major events, Memberships,
leaves on our Tree of Life plaque, AT tee shirt, or the book "The Rabbi
on 47th Street", a memoir about the history of the synagogue.
- Link to Houston Chronicle Article about The Broadway Benefit, Rabbi Jill and Actors’ Temple.
- Link to New York Times Article about Actors’ Temple.
- Actors’ Temple Broadway Benefit clips now on YouTube; 2012 here and here. 2011 here.
- Erev Tisha B’Av, Monday, July 15, 7 PM. Screening of a Film, Geto, about the original Ghetto of Venice, narrated by Regina Resnick. Michael Philip Davis, one
of the producers, will be at the synagogue to introduce the film and
answer questions about it. A light snack appropriate to the occasion
will be served after the service.
- SHABBAT, Friday, July
19th, 7 PM: Service, Discussion, and Oneg Shabbat, sponsored by Barbara
Bova in honor of her birthday. Parashat VaEtchanan. We commemorate the Yahrzeits of: Sidney Berger (17), Pauline Hawkins (7/20), and Ellen Susan Schoeman (7/23).
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, July 20h, 10:30 AM, Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat, Parashat VaEtchanan.
- Volunteers needed to work on publicity and marketing for the Broadway Benefit in November. Please contact Rabbi Jill.
July 26, 7 PM: Dedication of four plaques honoring the memory of the
relatives of Alan and Marilyn Rothstein, Sandy and Kenneth Klein.
August 2: Dedication of Two Plaques honoring the memory of Florence
Cohen’s relatives. Special Oneg sponsored by Florence Cohen.
Temple Bike Ride, Sunday in August 11th (Rain date August 18th). Please
email Rabbi Jill if interested. We’ll gather at Rabbi Jill’s at 11,
ride around Central Park, return for bagels and cream cheese, and have a
short study session. Informal and fun!
- Service to Honor All our Volunteers: In August, Date to be Announced.
Welcome New Members
- We welcome Binyamin Patirian to our Synagogue Family, and extend the warmth and caring of our community to him.
- WEEKLY TORAH STUDY: Resumes in October. No class during the summer. Join us Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th Street. Reading the Book of Exodus.
- Hebrew School for K-4; Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing. Hebrew School website, by Noah Hichenberg.
you to Myron & Doris Shrenkel and Charles & Ellen Kruger for a
donation in honor of Mae Mizrachi's 100th birthday. Mazel Tov to her!!
- Special thanks to David Bier, Barbara Bova, Michael Verdel, and others for setting up and cleaning up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate your help. Thank you to Daniel Miller for the website.
Donations and Giving
- Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat or a Musical Service in honor of any Life Cycle event such
as: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Births, Graduations, Aufruf, Bar/Bat
Mitzvah, Wedding, or any Simcha. We welcome the celebration of all your
Life Cycle events!
- A leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Chair Plaques can be personalized and donated.
- Please also consider remembering The Actors’ Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Health and Healing
Sh'lema to: Milton Platt, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi, Dalita
Rubenstein, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau, Lois Libien,
David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph Kashangaki, Alan Bergman, Zell
Schwartzman, Mark Kigler, Carol Ostrow, Liz Strickoff, Sally Gerity, and
Carole Elfman, Steven Gellman. We pray they will be well again soon.
Yahrzeits and Kaddish
remember: (Heb. Date of Passing–Av): Sidney Berger (17), Pauline
Hawkins (7/20), Ellen Susan Schoeman (7/23) 7/19; Louis Hennig (7/29)
7/26; Miriam Levine (25), Herman Eulau (29), Alan Goldman (29) 8/ 2.
recall for Kaddish: Miriam Levine, Samuel Tobin,
Howard Strowman, Shirah Kober Zeller. Dorothy Platt, George Greenstein,
Louis Strowman, Michael Rubenstein, Menashe Benyaminov, Louis Salko,
Roselyn Kessler, Bernard Thaler, Joshua Winfield Caruso, Lila Ruth
Diamond, Mark Landers, Lorraine May Rubenstein, John Nicholson, Alfonso
Ragland, Harvey Koizim, Helen Turner, Ted Tedeschi.
- Estelle Levy & Florence Cohen show work: Women in the Arts Exhibition,
Riverside Library, 127 Amsterdam Ave. at 65th Street, 8/2-27, Mon/Wed:
11-6; Tues/Thurs: 10-6, Fri/Sat: 10-5; Reception Sat. 8/3, 2-4:30.
- Stone & Stone Show, Monday, 7/15, 9:30 PM, The PIT, with guests; 54 Below, Tuesday, 7/16, 10:30 PM: and a video at http://rec.st/d055y.
- Hank Eulau and Ruth Sandberg perform with the Kol Dorot Choir, 7/18, 2:30 PM, Jewish Home Lifecare, 120 W. 106 St. (Amst. – Columbus).
- Celeste Wiseblood
has 3 pieces in an art show, Creative Center, 2nd Fl, 6/21- 9/1,
reception 6 - 8 PM, 6/21, 273 Bowery (btw Stanton & E.Houston).
- Sandy Rosenberg is Frau Blucher in Young Frankenstein, Ogunquit Playhouse, Ogunquit Maine, 7/10-27, www.Ogunquitplayhouse.org.
- Aron Bederson directs Line at 13th St. Rep., Saturdays, 9:30 PM; Tickets on TDF Goldstar and at the theatre.
- See Steve Greenstein’s new film, The History of Future Folk, info at: www.futurefolk.com,
a funny, Brooklyn, space alien romantic comedy. Rabbi Jill saw it and
it’s funny and sweet. Recommended by her and the NY Times!
- Louise Poster
sings at Lybane Restaurant Tues. & Fridays, 9-12, 709 8th
Ave.(44-45)212-582-2012; Mondays with the Rick Bogart Trio, The Hudson
Eatery, 601 W. 57th St.(11th-12th Aves.) 6:30-9:30 PM, One drink min.
- AT Theatre’s shows: It’s Just Sex (about marriage), Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, Fried Chicken & Latkes
(with Rain Pryor, on being Black & Jewish):Mon., 7PM, Sat., 2:00
PM, Sun., 4:30 PM; $39.50, Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200; also Black Angels Over Tuskegee, & (for kids) Honestly Abe.
- Two programs to know about: ReServe: which
matches retired professionals with part-time paid work opportunities in
government and non-profits (http://www.reserveinc.org/professionals),
and Lifeline Screening (www.lifelinescreening.com), July 1 at St. Paul the Apostle: full medical screening for a reasonable fee.
- Valerie Brown is available for cleaning projects (closets, stoves, refrigerators). Call Rabbi Jill for Valerie’s contact information. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking tutoring students, Pre-K to 5th.Celeste Wiseblood seeking hypno/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.
The Actors’ Temple ● 339 West 47th Street ● New York, N.Y. 10036
Mailing Address: PO Box 2620, NY, NY 10108
Phone (212) 245-6975 ● Fax (212) 586-3025
firstname.lastname@example.org ● www.theactorstemple.org
© Copyright 2004-2013 The Actors’ Temple. All rights reserved. Contributors have copyright of their submitted material.