posted Aug 9, 2013, 8:36 AM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Aug 9, 2013, 8:36 AM by Ezrath Israel
THE ACTORS’ TEMPLE
Announcements – Week of July 29, 2013
- SHABBAT PM, Friday, 8/2, 7 PM: Shabbat Service, Discussion, Plaque Dedication & Oneg
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, 8/3, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat
- LOOKING AHEAD: Synagogue Bike Ride, Honoring Volunteers, Holy Days, and more.
- EDUCATION: No Class During the Summer. Classes Resume in October.
- THANK YOU, DONATIONS, & GIVING
- HEALTH & HEALING
- YAHRZEIT AND KADDISH
- NOTEWORTHY EVENTS: Joshua
Weiner speaks about Juggling; Mazel Tov to Bob Greenberg; Affordable
Co-op taking lottery applications; Estelle Levy & Florence Cohen in
an art show; Celeste Wiseblood in an art show; Steve Greenstein in a Film, Aron Bederson directs Line; Louise Poster sings weekly; AT Shows: Black Angels Over Tuskegee, Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, It’s Just Sex, & Honestly Abe;
Two Programs to know about: LifeLine & ReServe; June Stern. Dr.
Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood, Valerie Brown, seek clients.
Evening, Friday, August 2nd, 7 PM: Service, Discussion, and Dedication
of Two Plaques honoring the memory of Florence Cohen’s relatives.
Special Oneg sponsored by Florence Cohen. We commemorate the Yahrzeits of: Herman Eulau (29), and Alan Goldman (29).
- SHABBAT Morning, Saturday, August 3rd, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat, Parashat Re’eh.
- Anyone wishing to receive an aliyah or read a section of Haftarah in English for the Holy Days, please contact Rabbi Jill.
- Volunteers needed to work on publicity and marketing for the Broadway Benefit in November. Please contact Rabbi Jill or Randie Levine-Miller.
- Actors’ Temple Bike Ride, Sunday in August 11th (Rain date August 18th). Please email Rabbi Jill if interested. We’ll gather at Rabbi Jill’s at 11, ride around Central Park, return for bagels and cream cheese, and have a short study session. Informal and fun!
to Honor All our Volunteers: Friday, August 23rd. All who regularly
volunteer will be honored. Please do attend. Oneg sponsored by the
Synagogue in their honor.
- Come Celebrate the Holy Days with us! Holy Days information will be posted on our website and sent out by mail soon. Rosh Hashanah begins Wednesday, 9/ 4, 7 PM. First and Second Days: Thursday 9/5 and Friday 9/6, 10 AM. The Creative Service is the second day of Rosh Hashanah. Free Service for the Community, Thursday 9/5 at 7:30 PM. Tashlich on Friday, 9/6 after the Creative Service; Kol Nidre is Friday, 9/13 at 6:30 PM. Yom Kippur is Saturday, 9/14, 10 AM. Yizkor at 1 PM; Mincha and N’ila at 5:15. Break the Fast at 7:45. Children’s Services provided for both holidays. Cantorial Intern Aron Bederston returns to assist Rabbi Jill. A spiritual beginning for your New Year! No one is ever turned away.
- WEEKLY TORAH STUDY: Resumes in October. No class during the summer. Join us Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th Street. Reading the Book of Exodus.
- Hebrew School for K-5; Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing. Hebrew School website, by Noah Hichenberg.
you to Alan and Marilyn Rothstein and Sandy and Kenneth Klein for
sponsoring the Oneg Shabbat on Friday in memory of their relatives,
Molly Hammer, Frieda & Leo Simon, and Albert Rothstein.
- Thank you to Dalita Rubenstein, for sponsoring Saturday’s Oneg in honor of her birthday.
- Special thanks to David Bier, Barbara Bova, Michael Verdel, and others for setting up and cleaning up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate your help. Thank you to Daniel Miller for the website.
- Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat or a Musical Service in honor of any Life Cycle event such as: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Births, Graduations, Aufruf, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding, or any Simcha or event.
- A leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Chair Plaques can be personalized and donated.
- Please also consider remembering The Actors’ Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Sh'lema to: Milton Platt, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi, Dalita
Rubenstein, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau, Lois Libien,
David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph Kashangaki, Alan Bergman, Zell
Schwartzman, Mark Kigler, Liz Strickoff, Sally Gerity, Carole Elfman,
and Steven Gellman. We pray they will be well again soon.
remember: (Heb. Date of Passing–Av and Elul): Herman Eulau (29), Alan
Goldman (29), Howard Waldman (1), 8/2; Miriam Levine (8/13) 8/9; Bernard
Butenkant (11), 8/16; Jeanette Claire Youner (17) Samuel Tobin (20),
Rebecca Klinger’s Mother (21), 8/23; Belle Butenkant (24), Gregory
Jackson (25), Sara Buchman (26), Goldie Cohen (28), Harry Waldman (28),
- We recall for Kaddish: Miriam
Levine, Samuel Tobin, Howard Strowman, Shirah Kober Zeller. Dorothy
Platt, George Greenstein, Louis Strowman, Michael Rubenstein, Menashe
Benyaminov, Louis Salko, Roselyn Kessler, Bernard Thaler, Joshua
Winfield Caruso, Lila Ruth Diamond, Mark Landers, Lorraine May
Rubenstein, John Nicholson, Alfonso Ragland, Harvey Koizim, Helen
Turner, Ted Tedeschi.
- Joshua Weiner presents a talk: A Juggler’s Tale: Learning in School and Street, 7/30, 4-5:30 PM, 305 Russell, Columbia Univ. Teacher’s College, 525 West 120th St.; Free, refreshments provided.
- Mazel Tov to Bob Greenberg, who won First Prize in the 4th Annual Coney Island Talent Show, doing his tribute to Brooklyn's favorite bus driver!
- New Affordable Co-ops on West 52nd St., The Park Clinton, taking lottery applications til 9/10. Please contact Rabbi Jill for details.
- Estelle Levy & Florence Cohen show work: Women in the Arts Exhibition,
Riverside Library, 127 Amsterdam Ave. at 65th Street, 8/2-27, Mon/Wed:
11-6; Tues/Thurs: 10-6, Fri/Sat: 10-5; Reception Sat. 8/3,
2-4:30. Also Home & Habitat Exhibit, begins 8/1-8/27. Many other artists including Marcia Ostwind and Caroline Sun.
- Celeste Wiseblood
has 3 pieces in an art show, Creative Center, 2nd Fl, 6/21- 9/1,
reception 6 - 8 PM, 6/21, 273 Bowery (btw Stanton & E.Houston).
- Aron Bederson directs Line at 13th St. Rep., Saturdays, 9:30 PM; Tickets on TDF Goldstar and at the theatre.
- See Steve Greenstein’s new film, The History of Future Folk, info at: www.futurefolk.com,
a funny, Brooklyn, space alien romantic comedy. Rabbi Jill saw it and
it’s funny and sweet. Recommended by her and the NY Times!
- Louise Poster
sings at Lybane Restaurant Tues. & Fridays, 9-12, 709 8th
Ave.(44-45)212-582-2012; Mondays with the Rick Bogart Trio, The Hudson
Eatery, 601 W. 57th St.(11th-12th Aves.) 6:30-9:30 PM, One drink min.
- AT Theatre’s shows: It’s Just Sex (about marriage), Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, a parody of an infamous book, also Black Angels Over Tuskegee, & (for kids) Honestly Abe. Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200.
- Two programs to know about: ReServe: which
matches retired professionals with part-time paid work opportunities in
government and non-profits (http://www.reserveinc.org/professionals),
and Lifeline Screening (www.lifelinescreening.com): full medical screening for a reasonable fee.
- Valerie Brown is available for cleaning projects (closets, stoves, refrigerators). Call Rabbi Jill for Valerie’s contact information. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking tutoring students, Pre-K to 5th.Celeste Wiseblood seeking hypno/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.