posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:03 PM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Oct 12, 2012, 8:03 PM by Ezrath Israel
Announcements – Week of October 8, 2012
Simchat Torah Sameach!
- SHABBAT Friday, October 12th, 7 PM: Service, Plaque Dedication, & Oneg Shabbat
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, October 13th, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat
- LOOKING AHEAD: Welcome New Friends Shabbat, New Social Group forming, Hebrew Review
- EDUCATION: Wed. Torah Study Class resumes October 10.
- DONATIONS AND DONATING
- HEALTH & HEALING
- NOTEWORTHY EVENTS: Gary Biale in Stuck?, Kama Linden 11/10; Melodies of Autumn, 11/11; Interfaith Trip to Israel, Adon Olam Video on Youtube; AT Shows; Siren’s Heart, and Fried Chicken and Latkes, Black Angels & Honestly Abe (for kids) at AT Theatre; June Stern. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood, seeking clients.
About The Actors’ Temple
Actors’ Temple, Congregation Ezrath Israel is: a place where
spirituality meets creativity; progressive and egalitarian; eclectic and
post denominational; welcoming and inclusive; a place for community,
friendship, prayer, learning, and deeds of loving kindness.
- Visit our Facebook Page and give us a “Like” a/k/a the Thumbs Up! Rabbi/Cantor Jill Hausman has started her own Blog where she is posting her sermons. A New York Times article on Nov 19, 2011 about us.
- Visit our Online Store
where you can buy Tickets to many of our major events, Memberships,
leaves on our Tree of Life plaque, AT tee shirt, or the book "The Rabbi
on 47th Street", a memoir about the history of the synagogue.
- Shemini Atzeret, Monday, October 8, 10:30 AM. Torah Reading and Yizkor.
- Simchat Torah,
Monday, October 8, 7 PM. Sing and Dance with the Torahs, Judy Buchman,
and Rabbi Jill. End the cycle and begin again! Please come and celebrate
- SHABBAT Friday, October 12th: 7 PM: Service,
Dedication of a plaque donated by Lois and Howard Lowsky in memory of
Lois’ parents, Mortimer Solomon Libien and Martha Shyatt Libien and her
sister, Gloria Sonia Libien. The Lowsky’s will also sponsor the Oneg
Shabbat. We commemorate the Yahrzeits of: Ruth Tobin (29), Harry Waldman
(29), and Lotta Gomori (10/13),
- SHABBAT AM, Saturday, October 13th, 10:30 AM: Service, Discussion, & Oneg Shabbat, Parashat B’reisheet.
- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. June Stern raises awareness for us on Friday, October 19th at the Shabbat Service.
Events group forming. First Event: 10/24: piano concert by Van Cliburn
Competition winner. NYU's Frederick Loewe Theater, 35 W. 4th St . Meet
6:15: Pesce Pasta, 262 Bleecker St. (betw.6th & 7th Ave S. ) Call or email Ana Kingstone 212 787-0827 (Serpa52@hotmail.com) to reserve.
- Welcome New Friends Shabbat, Friday, October 26th.
Piano Prelude by Lily Galperin at 6:30; Service at 7 PM. Please invite
your friends to experience a spiritual and friendly Shabbat at our
synagogue. Wine & Cheese reception; Piano works by: Rossi,
Pachelbel, Rameau, JCF Bach, Alcan, Brahms, and Kreisler.
- One Day Hebrew Review, Sunday, November 4, 10 AM. Learn to read Hebrew. Beginners welcome!
Service: Friday, November 9, 7 PM, at The Actors’ Temple , with speaker
Miriam Yevick, Holocaust survivor and author of the book, A Testament for Ariella.
- LGBT Shabbat: Friday, November 16, 7 PM, We welcome you to an inclusive celebration for all people.
- Human Rights Shabbat: Friday, December 7, 7 PM, Tikkun Olam for everyone.
- The Best of Broadway and Cabaret, Produced by Randie Levine-Miller, A Benefit for The Actors’ Temple : Monday, November 26th, 6:30 PM. More information will be forthcoming soon.
- Weekly Torah Study:
Class resumes October 10. Join us Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying
the Psalms in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th Street. To call in on
speakerphone please make a reservation on Wednesday by calling Rabbi
Jill and leaving a message.
- Hebrew School for K-4; registration for Fall 2012. Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing. Hebrew School website, by Noah Hichenberg: https://sites.google.com/site/actorstemplehebrewschool
A Special Thank You and Mazel Tov
you to Dan Feld for serving as President of the Board of Directors for
four years. We are so grateful for all you have done for us. Mazel Tov
to Bob Reicher, who assumed the Presidency on Yom Kippur. We are very
happy to welcome you and appreciate your willingness to serve. Blessings
to both of you! Thank You!
- Thank you to all who performed at our recent holiday services:
Judy Buchman, who played and sang at two services; Lily Galperin, Fred
Fastow, and Aron Bederson, who added their talents and joy to the
Potluck Shabbat Sukkot service. We are so grateful! Thanks to all who
- A special thank you to Barbara Bova, who set up and cleaned up both services on Shemini Atzeret and Simchat Torah.
you to Barbara Bova, Michael Verdel, David Bier, and all who bring
food, set up, and clean up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate
all you do.
Donations and Giving
leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat
or a Musical Service, in honor of: Birthdays Anniversaries, Births,
Graduations or any Simcha. We welcome the celebration of an Aufruf,
Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding, or Life Cycle event. Chair Plaques can be
personalized & donated. Please also consider remembering The Actors’
Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have
Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Health and Healing
- R'fuah Sh'lema to: Sally Gerity, Milton Platt, Kathy Devine, Nelson
& Beverly Kornstein, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi, Micha ben Dovid;
Dalita Rubenstein, Su Nissan, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau,
George Greenstein, Lois Libien, David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph
Kashangaki, Eliyahu Goldsmith. We pray they will be well again soon.
Yahrzeits and Kaddish
- We remember: (Heb. Date of Passing–Tishri, Cheshvan) Ruth Tobin (29),
Harry Waldman (29), Lotta Gomori (10/13), 10/12; Mrs. Goldfarb, (10/22),
Naftali Hertz (8 Cheshvan), 10/19; Elliot Cohen’s Father (22), Isidore
Elfman (23), Aaron L. Friedenthal (23) Samuel Karp (23), Shubert
Constantine (Nov. 4), Marge Seibut’s Mother (11/7), 11/2; Hilda Lerner
(29) 11/9; Bessie Ziffer, 11/16.
- We recall for Kaddish: Dan Levine, Tom
Hall, Marion Griffel, Susan Beck, Mitchell Fastow, Steven Paul Goldberg,
Helen Karp, Miriam Levine, Samuel Tobin, Howard Strowman, Shirah Kober
- Gary Biale in Stuck?, 10/20, 7:30 PM United Solo Theater Festival, Studio Theater, 410 W. 42nd ST. (9th- 10th Aves), $18, www.untitedsolo.org/us/ufest .
- Kama Linden sings 11/10, 8 PM at Gizzi’s Café, 16 W. 8th Street, NYC.
of Autumn, with singers Carmen Amoros, Marla Kavanaugh, Sergio Marin;
pianist Ira Allen, and the Parlor String Quartet, 11/11, 7:30 PM, Actors
Temple Theatre: songs from Broadway, the American Songbook. Opera, and
Sacred music. Don't miss it!
- Interfaith Trip to Israel, with Rabbi Roger Ross, 3/4-3/16, info at Heart of Faith Pilgrimages.com
- Please be a part of Marcello Bendotti’s online campaign to raise funds for the project http://www.indiegogo.com/gaygardens.
- The Adon Olam Video is on YouTube, produced by Judy Buchman. Pass it around to your email lists.
- AT Theatre’s shows
Fried Chicken & Latkes (with Rain Pryor, on being Black and
Jewish): Mon., 7PM, Sat., 2:00 PM, Sun., 4:30 PM; Siren’s Heart (about
Marilyn Monroe). Tickets $39.50, Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200; also
Black Angels Over Tuskegee , & (for kids) Honestly Abe.
- Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking students, Pre-K to 5th
for tutoring, Rabbi Robert Teixeira LCSW seeking clients in private
psychotherapy practice. 212-961-1745.Celeste Wiseblood seeking
hypnotherapy/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.
Have a wonderful and blessed week!
The Actors’ Temple ● 339 West 47th Street ● New York, N.Y. 10036
Mailing Address: PO Box 2620, NY, NY 10108
Phone (212) 245-6975 ● Fax (212) 586-3025
email@example.com ● www.theactorstemple.org
© Copyright 2004-2012 The Actors’ Temple. All rights reserved. Contributors have copyright of their submitted material.