posted Sep 16, 2013, 11:02 AM by aimee-dan beyda-miller
updated Sep 16, 2013, 11:13 AM by Ezrath Israel
Announcements – Week of September 16, 2013
- Erev Sukkot, Wednesday, 9/18, 7 PM: Service & Oneg
- Sukkot Morning, Thursday, 9/19, 10:30 AM: Torah Service & Holiday Oneg
- POTLUCK IN THE SUKKAH, Friday, 9/20. Dinner, 6 PM; Service 7 PM. Music provided!
- Saturday, 9/21, 10 AM: Early Service, Discussion, and Peace Day in Times Square
- LOOKING AHEAD: Broadway Cares Flea Market, Simchat Torah, and more
- EDUCATION: New Hebrew School Teacher for September & Open House; Adult classes resume October
- THANK YOU, DONATIONS, & GIVING
- HEALTH & HEALING
- YAHRZEIT AND KADDISH
EVENTS: Randie Levine-Miller’s Sept. event; Heidi Latsky, 10/9; Mah
Jongg, The Musical, October; Louise Poster sings weekly; AT Shows: Black
Angels Over Tuskegee, Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, It’s Just Sex, & Honestly Abe; June Stern. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein, Celeste Wiseblood, Valerie Brown, seek clients.
- Erev Sukkot, Wednesday, September 18, 7 PM: Holiday Service and Oneg
- Sukkot Morning, Thursday, September 19, 10:30 AM, Torah Service and Holiday Oneg
- POTLUCK DINNER in the Sukkah on Shabbat Sukkot, Friday, September 20th. Dinner at 6, Service at 7. Please bring a dairy/veggie dish to share. Lilly Galperin plays piano at 6:30, Songs from Around the World. We commemorate the Yahrzeits of: Lillian Berger (16), Annie Spegal (17), Dr. Merrill Goodman (19).
- Shabbat Morning, Saturday, September 21: Early service, 10 AM. so
we can participate in the worldwide moment of silence for peace &
sing-a-long. Peace Day Party Live, Times Square, Noon-12:30 PM; produced
by Paul Sladkus. www.peacedayparty.org.
- Broadway Cares Fights Aids Flea Market, Sunday, September 22. Please contact Michael Verdel or Barbara Bova, or email Rabbi Jill to sign up for two hour slots, from 9 AM to 6 PM.
- PLEASE write a review on YELP of our services and mention a Free Rosh Hashanah Service for the Community. Thank you very much!
- IMPORTANT: Anyone who opted out of our regular mailings, please email Rabbi Jill directly/
- Shemini Atzeret, Thursday, 9/26, 10:30 AM;
- Simchat Torah, Friday, 9/27, 7 PM, with Judy Buchman, Fred Fastow, & Ira Shimshi playing music.
- Children’s Services for the Fall: 6:30-7 PM on 10/18 & 12/13; 10-10:30 AM on 11/16. All are invited!
- Shabbat, Friday, October 4, 7 PM. Helen Rosenbaum sponsors the Kiddush in honor of her birthday.
- Shabbat Morning, Saturday, October 5, 10 AM: Bar Mitzvah of Lucas Kaplan. All are welcome.
- Welcome New Members & Friends Shabbat, Friday, October 18th, 7:30 PM. Please invite those you know.
- Shabbat Morning, Saturday, October 19, 10:30 AM: Bat Mitzvah of Michaela Beck. All are invited.
- Shabbat, Friday, October 25, 7 PM: Dedication of 2 plaques honoring Carol Ostrow’s relatives.
- September 16th,
6:30 PM. Actors’ Temple Hebrew School Open School Night for current and
prospective parents and kids, Monday, Come meet our new teacher! Find
out about Children’s Shabbat Services too.
new Hebrew School teacher is Phyllis Marmer, whose son went to PPAS, in
the neighborhood and who has extensive experience teaching kids about
Judaism. Classes begin on September 16th.
- Hebrew School for K-5 Mondays at 4 PM; Bar/Bat Mitzvah registration ongoing. Hebrew School website, by Noah Hichenberg. If there is sufficient demand, we will have a second class for the younger grades.
- WEEKLY TORAH STUDY for Adults: Resumes in October. Join us Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, studying in English with Rabbi Jill at 96th Street. Reading the Book of Exodus.
Thank You and Donations
you to Aron Bederson, James Besser, Fred Fastow, and Marina Kifferstein
for beautiful music on Yom KIppur; to Aaron Hawkins and Carol Lempert
for the shofar; to speaker Dan Feld. Thank you to all who ushered, set
up, and cleaned up: Barbara Bova, Valerie Brown, the Felds, Alan
Kifferstein and Joan Finkelstein, June Stern, Michael Verdel and others.
Thank you to our Board of Directors, President Bob Reicher, Larry
Roberts, Facilities Manager, and Angel Viloda, Superintendent. Thank you
to many others who helped and served!
- Special thanks to David Bier, Barbara Bova, Michael Verdel, and others for setting up and cleaning up our Shabbat services. We really appreciate your help. Thank you to Daniel Miller for the website.
- Sponsor an Oneg Shabbat or a Musical Service in honor of any Life Cycle event such as: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Births, Graduations, Aufruf, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding, or any Simcha or event.
- A leaf on our Tree of Life Plaque, is only $180. Chair Plaques can be personalized and donated.
- Please also consider remembering The Actors’ Temple in your will. We are available for Memorial Services and we have Cemetery Plots in New Jersey. Please call or email.
Health and Healing
Sh'lema to: Milton Platt, Adela Svei, Judith Tedeschi, Dalita
Rubenstein, Phyllis Malamud, Matt Clark, Ronnie Eulau, Lois Libien,
David Belsky, Maya Demri, Joseph Kashangaki, Alan Bergman, Zell
Schwartzman, Mark Kigler, Liz Strickoff, Sally Gerity, Carole Elfman,
Steven Gellman, Fred Winters, Marjorie Conn, and Ruth Krausman. We pray they will be well again soon.
Yahrzeits and Kaddish
- We offer our deep sympathy to Mimi Scott, whose brother, Herschel Koblenz passed away, and to Joshua Weiner, whose Mother, Anne Miyamoto Timmins, passed away.
We remember: (Heb. Date of Passing–Tishri); Lillian Berger (16), Annie
Spegal (17), Dr. Merrill Goodman (19), 9/20; Leo Simon (23), Larry
Levine (25), Ruth Tobin (29), Harry Waldman (29), 9/27.
recall for Kaddish: Howard Strowman, Shirah Kober Zeller. Dorothy
Platt, George Greenstein, Louis Strowman, Michael Rubenstein, Menashe
Benyaminov, Louis Salko, Roselyn Kessler, Bernard Thaler, Joshua Caruso,
Lila Ruth Diamond, Mark Landers, Lorraine May Rubenstein, John
Nicholson, Alfonso Ragland, Helen Turner, Ted Tedeschi, Marilyn
Rosenthal, Jan Berger, Fred Winters, Herschl Koblen.
- Randie Levine-Miller’s Broadway Showstopper Divo’s – A Swell Party, Monday, 9/16, 7 PM, Metropolitan Room, http://metropolitanroom.com/show.cfm?id=92947.
- Vote for Heidi Latsky at the DANCENOW Festival 10/9, 7 PM, Joe’s Pub, for a chance at a residency, Tkts 15 Advance, $20 at the door.
- Mah Jongg, The Musical, by and with Mimi Scott, 10/3, 10, 17, 24; 7 PM, Don’t Tell Mama; $16+2 Drinks.
- Dave Konig hosts the (private) Friars Club Benefit, 9/18. Mazel Tov!
- Louise Poster sings at Lybane Restaurant Tues. & Fridays, 9-12, 709 8th Ave.(44-45)212-582-2012; Mondays with the Rick Bogart Trio, The Hudson Eatery, 601 W. 57th St.(11th-12th Aves.) 6:30-9:30 PM, One drink min.
- AT Theatre’s shows: It’s Just Sex (about marriage), Cuff Me, 50 Shades of Grey, a parody of an infamous book, also Black Angels Over Tuskegee, & (for kids) Honestly Abe. Telecharge.com or 212/239-6200.
- Valerie Brown, 212 496 6484, is available for cleaning projects (closets, stoves, refrigerators). Call Rabbi Jill for Valerie’s contact information. Dr. Dalita Rubenstein seeking psychotherapy clients (sliding scale), 212-627-8624; June Stern seeking tutoring students, Pre-K to 5th.Celeste Wiseblood seeking hypno/psychotherapy clients 917-833-8885.
Have a Wonderful and Blessed Week!